Saturday, April 17, 2010

Gifts

I received some amazing gifts this week, all unexpectedly.  My students surprised me with with flowers,  my adopted "daughter" showered me with thoughtful gifts, and an old friend treated me to lunch.  A priceless treasure was hidden in each of these gestures: affirmation of my worth and value, recognition for impacting the lives of others, and affection for just who I am.  Each instance brought touching words that feed my self-esteem.  I live on such precious messages like oxygen, breathing them in to continue moving. Such sweet, priceless thoughts say more about the giver than about me, and leave me with the deep warmth of gratitude. - Melissa writes about receiving compliments on her strength and coping with cancer, which leave her feeling unworthy.  She writes, "it's not me, it's God."  She struggles with how to explain the source of her strength to the giver without sounding ungracious or preachy.  Gifts can sometimes be harder to receive than to give, especially the gifts of affirmation or praise.  Since God is the giver of all good things, both those strengths inside us and those gifts we receive from others, maybe we can turn it all back into praise to Him. Maybe they are all God's gifts after all. May this week bring you affirmation of your worth and value, and more blessings from Our Loving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment